Skip the other fish in the sea and fall in love with spirulina algae!
Spirulina is an algae with a savory seaweed-like flavor that can be added to smoothies or shakes, and is found in GT Kombucha’s multi-green flavor. To produce this dark green powder, mature spirulina is strained, triple washed, and then left out to dry. It is vitamin rich with protein, iron, amino acids, and antioxidants. If you’re adding it to a drink or shake, don’t be alarmed when it turns the drink a green-blue color! To balance the earthy flavor, try adding bananas, pineapple, and mango to add sweetness to smoothies. If you’d like to drink it in juice, orange is often the best choice.
Here’s a quick and easy smoothie recipe:
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of spirulina to fruit juice and blend
- Add 1 to 2 cups of ice to the mixture
- Add 1 cup blackberries, strawberries, or blueberries
- Add 1 whole banana and blend everything together until mixed and smooth
If the smoothie is too thin, try adding more ice or a banana until the texture is just right. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Or for those craving a little chocolate with their health food, try this drink recipe:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon spirulina powder
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 4 to 6 ice cubes
Blend until smooth and enjoy!