By Kimber Badertscher, Wellness Buyer, Co-op Owner
When it comes to loving Mother Earth, ChicoBag loves her a lot. Not only do they create products to reduce single use waste, they do it as sustainably and responsibly as possible. Here are all the ways ChicoBags makes sure to be environmentally responsible:
- Climate Neutral Certified: Climate Neutral is an independent non-profit organization enlisting businesses and consumers to halt the effects of climate change. That means setting a new minimum standard of corporate responsibility for all companies achieving a net-zero carbon footprint. It works to eliminate global carbon emissions by getting brands to measure, offset, and reduce the carbon they emit.
- 1% For The Planet Member: This international organization provides a way for both businesses and individuals to take responsibility to give back and support the environment. Members donate 1% (at minimum) of their annual sales, either from a specific business line or the company as a whole to environmental causes. ChicoBag designated its rePETe line as a direct contributor to the 1% for the Planet movement. Look for the 1% logo on all of ChicoBag rePETe items, their exclusive line made exclusively from recycled materials.
- Certified B Corporation: Businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose. B Corps are accelerating a global culture shift to redefine success in business and build a more inclusive and sustainable economy.
- Fair Labor Association-Ethical Manufacturing: ChicoBag actively supports fair labor and workplace standards throughout the entire supply chain. ChicoBag is a Category C Licensee of the Fair Labor Association. The Fair Labor Association works collaboratively with colleges and universities, NGOs, and socially responsible companies to improve working conditions in factories around the world. We visit our tier one suppliers and conduct independent, third-party audits to ensure compliance with the Workplace Code of Conduct and Principles of Fair Labor and Responsible Sourcing and Production.
- rePETe Recycled Fabric: All ChicoBag rePETe products contain certified Repreve fabric which is made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles. In addition, many products have other recycled components like carabiners, cording and cord locks.
- Zero Waste Goals: ChicoBag made the decision to refuse the “Big 5” (single-use plastic bags, single-use water bottles, single-use cups, single-use utensils and polystyrene take-out containers). On average, each person in America sends 2.89 pounds of trash to the landfill each day. The ChicoBag office has 30 people working in it 5 days per week and we send an average of 30 pounds per month to the landfill. That works out to about .02 pounds per employee per day.
- Return your unwanted Chico Bags back to Chico: send ChicoBag your tired reusable bags, functional or not. Mail your unwanted reusable bags to:
- ChicoBag Company
c/o Zero Waste Program
747 Fortress Street
Chico, CA 95973
- ChicoBag Company