By Janet Malusi, Board Member, Co-op Owner
This recipe is very nourishing and a wholesome, delicious break from holiday over-indulgences. It is very easy and a great way to utilize some of your stored canned/frozen goodies from the season’s harvest.
Makes a lot! Freezes well.
In a large stock pot combine:
- 4 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 quart water
- 5 Tbsp + 1 tsp low sodium vegetable broth powder
- 1 46oz jug of reduced sodium tomato or vegetable juice (or equivalent crushed tomatoes)
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup pearl barley
Cook for 30 minutes
Add 1 can/pint of each with liquid (or ~2 cups if using fresh/frozen):
- Pinto beans
- Green beans
- ½ tsp garlic powder/granules
Cook another 30 minutes.
- A little Italian seasoning
- Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 3 shakes of Worcestershire sauce (regular or Annie’s Homegrown for vegan)
Cook a little longer until flavors are well combined.
This recipe is great served with corn bread… drizzled with a little raw, local honey of course!