GreenTree is a full-service grocery store. We have a large selection of grocery items, including frozen and refrigerated items, a Grab-n-Go Deli, fresh produce, a large bulk section, and a Wellness department. We have a set of store-wide buying guidelines to help us choose the products found in these departments:
GreenTree’s goal is to remain Mt. Pleasant’s premier retail provider of organic and natural foods. We offer Owners and shoppers a choice of products and information that promote personal, economic and environmental health and sustainability. We act as a buying agent for our Owners, not a selling agent for manufacturers.
The buyers at GreenTree are presented with a wide range of products and must determine what products should or should not be carried by our store. Our goal is to maintain an unbiased balance of quality, value and convenience.
Our buyers will avoid the following ingredients in products to be carried:
1. Hydrogenated Oils (In products intended for consumption.)
2. High Fructose Corn Syrup
In order to guide our buyers’ choices we give strong preference to the following products:
- Certified Organic
- Locally produced (Grown within 100 miles.)
- Produced utilizing practices that support sustainable agriculture
- Certified Non-GMO
- Grown/made/produced in Michigan
- Fair Trade certified
- Free of artificial preservatives or artificial additives (As defined in Consumer’s Dictionary of Food Additives.)
- Free of growth hormones or antibiotics
- Raised using sound animal husbandry and humane practices
- Fairly priced, offering our Owners value for their money
- Minimally packaged, using materials manufactured and disposed of in an environmentally sound manner
- Produced and distributed by vendors who meet city and state civil rights policies and run their businesses ethically
- Produced or distributed by cooperatively owned vendors
- Produced by manufacturers who do not utilize animal testing
- Help meet the needs of people on specialty diets, such as products that are wheat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, vegan, etc
- Desired by our members and shoppers
- Products produced by small, independently owned companies.
- Non chemically processed
In addition, customer requests will be reviewed and considered. Whenever possible the store will provide information on research regarding pesticides, herbicides, fungicides and artificial or potentially harmful additives. Also, information regarding the ingredients of products and their manufacturing processes as well as nutritional values of products will be provided.
This policy may be amended by management at any time, and will be reviewed annually by the Co-op’s Board of Directors.
Revised November 2013