Indian Tea (Chai)
By Aiman Shahpurwala, Board Member, Co-op Owner
This is the recipe for one cup (one serving) of Indian Chai tea. Indian tea is easy to make, great for the cold winter months, and works well to serve in a thermos at holiday gatherings. It is usually served after dinner. If you want to make more just multiply by how many people you have. This recipe was passed down to me from my mother.
- 1 bag of Black Tea
- Evaporated Milk
- Cardamom Seed Pods (3), or Cardamom powder (a pinch)
1) Boil one cup of water and add tea bag.
2) Boil water with tea bag for a couple minutes.
3) Add sugar, 1 to 2 teaspoons depending on your tastes.
4) Crack cardamom seeds and add all 3, or add a pinch of cardamom powder.
5) Add evaporated milk, approximately 2 tablespoons.
6) Boil for a couple minutes more.
7) Turn off stove and let cool for a few minutes.
8) Serve in a teacup.