Fast Healthy Lunches
By Laura Coffee, Marketing & Owner Services Manager, Co-op Owner
As life gets busier, lunch gets faster, and usually, less healthy. For a bunch of tips on making lunch easier and cheaper while keeping it healthy, check out this video.
I’ve also got a very tasty recipe to share with you. This dish hits the trifecta: Cheap, Easy, Fast. It’s also easy to customize and kid friendly. Here you go!
Creamy Bean Salad
- 1 can cooked beans (Like Black, Great Northern, or Pinto)
- 2 Tbsps mayo (classic or vegan)
- 1/4 cup relish, chopped pickles, carrots, celery, or onions (optional)
- 1 Tbsp fresh herbs (Dill, basil, cilantro, and parsley work well.) (optional)
- Dash of hot sauce or pinch of chili powder (optional)
- Season to taste (Try taco seasoning with black beans, Italian seasoning with Great Northern, or just go for the classic salt and pepper.)
Drain the can of beans (and rinse if you are concerned about sodium) and place them in a bowl. Mash until most of the beans are broken up and some are whole. * Mix in the mayo and seasoning until combined. Add relish or veggies, fresh herbs, and hot sauce if using. Stir until well combined.
This salad can be used as a sandwich filling (It’s great with a couple of tomato slices or some crispy lettuce.), scooped up with chips or crackers, or just straight up eaten with a fork. I recommend experimenting with different combinations of beans and add-ins—you can make the basic mix and customize for each eater if necessary.**
*A potato masher works great for this, but a fork or stiff spatula will do in a pinch.
**Feeling adventurous? Try adding in wasabi powder, substituting Greek Yogurt for the mayo, or mixing several varieties of beans in one batch.